[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words of mud development?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Jun 22 16:45:54 CEST 1998

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:57:44 +0100
Greg Munt<greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>   Requirements Specification - what customer requirements need to be
> satisfied by the system?

Any feature on any object in the game world must be able to be
accomplished without source access to any other objects in the game
world.

>   Analysis - unsure about this, and that was the reason for my
> original post. The bridge between requirements and functional
> specifications. I guess it specifies why and how a particular part
> of the functionality will satisfy a particular requirement. (Any
> input from you lot on this one?)

This is where I use scenarios and Bubba gets his exercise.

>   Functional Specification - what functionality will the system
> provide to satisfy the requirements? (The system from the user
> perspective, sometimes called External Design.)

This is what I test the scaenarios against and where Bubba gets his
bruises and (less than) congenial nature.

>   Design - low-level design of the functionality: algorithms, class
> designs, etc. (The system from the developer's perspective,
> sometimes called Internal Design.)

The only other fun bit outside of scenario play (and no I'm not going
to wear the fishnets, french maid outfit, and waspie either!).

>   Coding/Implementation - the fun part

The really boring mechanical bit.

>   Testing - the, er, not so fun part...

A side effect of the really boring mechanical bit.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com