[MUD-Dev] World Persistence, flat files v/s DB v/s ??

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 22 16:11:52 CET 1998

On 22 Mar 98 at 12:16, Ben Greear wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Matt Chatterley wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Ben Greear wrote:
> >

> > > The game will need to update it's persistant storage very often
> > > to make this feasible.
> >
> > Yeah, I can imagine. This is going to be your main problem, I think. :)
>
> Yep, I've got the rest mapped out pretty well, but I just can't get
> a happy answer for the persistant storage...

Ben, take a look a COOLMUD.  There are many other servers who handle
persistence of course.   I mention COOL because the code is
particularly clean, simple, and modular.  After you look at COOL,
think about multi-threaded or background I/O.  :)

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--