[MUD-Dev]: smoothing

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Tue Mar 31 15:59:18 CEST 1998

Forwarded with permission:

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:57:23 -0600
From: Cynbe ru Taren <cynbe at muq.org>
To: claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Subject: [MUD-Dev]: smoothing

    I think this is what you (perhaps unknowingly) were suggesting, since
    that's what a spline really does : based on current interpolated
    positions, and on hard continuity constraints, there is only 1 degree
    of freedom in placing subsequent trajectory parts, so you can't be off
    too much by following the trajectory formed by a good guess...

Another resource might be clock synchronization protocols like NTP --
they've had time and incentive to look hard at how you handle the twin
problems of re/synchronizing over a laggy channel while retaining
smoothness.  (Since system clocks that run backwards, say, are even
worse than game ships that move discontinuously...)  Been some
dissertation-level work done there, if I'm not mistaken, suggesting it
isn't a trivial problem nor trivial solution.

 Cynbe

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com