[MUD-Dev] Re: atomic functions

Joel Dillon emily at cornholio.new.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 5 14:08:00 CEST 1998

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Felix A. Croes wrote:

> Jon A. Lambert <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >[...]
> > Trivia note: My terminology "spin-lock" comes from IBM's MVS/ESA
> >      architecture.  MVS uses spin-locking in its page locking scheme
> >      to implement shared memory.

  I was under the impression that a spinlock (from Posix threads/parallel
processing terminology) was a mutex which was locked by repeatedly trying
to grab the mutex for a short period of time (useful only on parallel
processing machines where grabbing a new processor outweighs the extra
CPU cycles expended on the old one).

	Jo

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.