[MUD-Dev] Re: regulating player-created objects

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Tue May 5 16:31:38 CEST 1998

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:00:26 -0500 (CDT)
Dan Shiovitz<dbs at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Anyway, so it seems like players creating objects is a major part of
> any sort of "big ecosystem" game (ie, one where players play more
> roles than "insert coins into circulation; remove loaves of bread
> and monsters from circulation"). I know a bunch of people here are
> working on variants of this. I was wondering what kind of regulation
> there is on the objects players can create.

There are two questions here:

  1) How does the user define and selct the object he wishes to
create?

  2) How does the system manage the security aspects of user-created
objects?

I don't have an answer to #1.  I do however keep thinking of trying to
adapt the aggregates concepts discussed here last year to some sort of
interface presentation.  How?  Dunno.

#2 is of course mostly a concern with user-programming, but can enter
into non-user programmed systems as well.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.