[MUD-Dev] Motivations (was something else...)

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Tue May 5 18:24:12 CEST 1998

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Koster, Raph wrote:

> I'd be curious to hear what the motivations of those on the list are.

Foremost, I love to code.  I've spent 6 years at school now, learning
(among other things) the intricacies of coding, and I have yet to see a
more fascinating arena to test all these ideas in than mud design.

I also really enjoy creating, and that sense of accomplishment that goes
with it when you put the finishing touches on something.  Maybe one of
these days I'll be able to say that about my current project... ;)

> Or as a broader topic: what do people see as motives for people
> crafting muds?

Hmm.. that's not as easy to answer... the first question dealt with _my_
motives, now I have to guess about other's... :)

What drives anyone to create anything?

Methinks we are wandering off topic and into the real of philosophy and or
theology here.

> One of the primary motivations I have seen in the past
> is, "to make a game like the one I used to play until they changed it
> on me."  How much of the stagnation of mud development do you think is
> attributable to this motive?

mm... I think just the colosal amount of time it requires to really build
soething new is more prohibative than a motive of "I just want it to be
like X before 'they' changed it to Y"

Tho I will chalk the rampant number of stock muds up to that.  The lack of
creativity is something else, entirely, though.

-Greg

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.