[MUD-Dev] Re: PK and my "Mobless MUD" idea

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed May 6 10:46:49 CEST 1998

On Fri, 1 May 1998 11:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
Adam Wiggins<adam at angel.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Caliban Tiresias Darklock<caliban at darklock.com> wrote: > ...Some of
>> the suggested rules would be like, Eldar the Everstrong > creates
>> the mighty Sword of Dragon Slaying, which will decapitate > any
>> dragon with one swing! So he offers it to Bob the Wimpy, only to >
>> receive the message "You cannot give an item of this power directly
>> > to a player." So he goes, fine, I'll leave it somewhere and tell
>> Bob > to come and get it! Then he goes to drop the mighty sword in
>> a room, > and receives the message "This item is far too powerful
>> to be left > unguarded." So he has to construct a big powerful
>> monster to guard > it, which he does, and then drops the monster in
>> the > room. Cunningly, he then tells the monster to leave, but the
>> monster > refuses -- he's on guard duty!  So Eldar tries to kill
>> the monster, > but is told that he cannot directly assist in the
>> destruction of his > own guardians. And so on. And so forth.
>>
>> First thought:
>>
>> 1) Create super-weapon, and put guard on it.  2) Create slightly
>> less super weapon and put slightly wimpier guard on it.  3) Repeat
>> #2 until until both weapon and guard are easily killable by newbie
>> 4) Sic newbie on bottom level guard/weapon.  5) Newbie uses each
>> new weapon on next higher guard.  6) See Newbie with super-weapon!
>> 7) Run newbie!  Run!
>>
>> Bootstrapping...

> I believe you just described almost every hack-n-slash in existence,
> mud or otherwise.

True...

...deletia...

> Of course, this opens the door wide open for what is practical
> another game going on above the regular players' heads.  Feuding
> gods raining fire on each others creations, trying to gain followers
> by leading potential recruits on quests for powerful artifacts (see
> JC's quote above), and so forth.  Could really kick ass, and the
> best part is that you'd get a constantly changing and expanding mud
> without requiring any special fractal algorithms or random room
> generation - just a handful of fevret players.

What is to prevent such gods from creating a simple monotonoous series
of rooms, connected by doors corridor style.  Each room contains a
weapon and a guard one step up from the one before...

We're looking at the minimal case for a hack-n-slash.  The problem is
that the minimal case is unplayable.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.