[MUD-Dev] Re: CGDC, a summary

Holly Sommer hsommer at micro.ti.com
Mon May 11 10:59:14 CEST 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Koster, Raph wrote:

> >    dumps you into the big bad world.  I guess he wanted a Merc mud
> school :)
>
> An issue we have wrestled with a LOT. After all, even newbies tend to
> hate mud school.

OK, not to make an issue of this but... well, I will :)

What, exactly, is the problem with mud schools? They serve the singular
purpose of letting those who are brand new to your (type of) world gain
some familiarity with it, before venturing forth. I should think that any
admin would be glad to have a "mud schoo" which answers newbie questions,
rather than having to answer those questions him/herself time and again.

The mud school which ships with Merc derivitives is great for what it
does - namely, that listed above. If you don't want any remaining
vestages of Midgaard, that's fine - use whatever you want for a central
city, if that floats your boat - but to make negative comments about a
learning center seems... myopic, IMO. Why would newbies hate a mud
school? It lets them collect their wits, and prepare for the rest of the
game. I can't see anything wrong with that, as a concept, nor with the
functionality of the "original" mud school itself.

-Holly

PS: Thanks for the write-up, Adam... some of us live in (big) cities
which never seem to have game conventions :(

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.