[MUD-Dev] Re: Leaving characters in play

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Tue May 12 20:58:43 CEST 1998

On Tue, 12 May 1998 s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:

> I cleaned this up for 80 cols.

Thanks!

> This whole thread, of dealing with leaving characters in the game when the
> player has logged out, has forced me to think about what it adds to the
> game, and why one would want to do it (aside from the usual, "it's more
> realistic" argument, which I think we all agree is insufficeint).  It
> seems to me that keeping characters in game when the player is away, with
> no defense (s/he's essentially a moron when yer gone) is counter to the
> point of any game (unless the point is just to drive potential players
> away).  Offering up safe rooms (presumably at a cost), makes the game into

I think that the ability to hunt down link dead ppl, and also allowing
ppl mechanisms to defend themselves through might, cunning or money
will be a highly entertaining affair.  Also, never being quite sure if
another is online, NPC, or link dead should add some spice as well.  No
more just running through the knight fields, sleeping with 10 HP by
the non-aggressive knights you are about to slaughter in two ticks :P

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.