[MUD-Dev] Re: Using HTML for a Mud character generator

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Wed May 13 10:39:08 CEST 1998

On Wed, 13 May 1998, John Bertoglio wrote:

[...]

> Of course the server will have to make the same checks as the JS in the
> form so players with HTML savvy can't create monster characters by
> overriding the internal limits. This hacking element makes the backend work
> so much more complicated than it really needs to be.....

You should be able to hide the entire contents of the javascript code by
referencing a file, rather than embedding the script code in the html that
they DL.  The java script still gets DL'd (of course), and executed
locally, but should they choose to look at the html source, all they see
is a tag referencing a file.  I don't recall the details (I've never
worked in javascript), but I do know you can do it.

> Any member of the list who would like to poach the code may feel free to do
> so. I would be honored (while at the same time somewhat suprised...it is
> pretty simple.).

Simple doesn't mean bad, or unworthy of attention.  Elegance in simplicity
is always a driving factor in my code designs... I'd like to think I
achieve it every once in a while.

[...]

-Greg

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.