[MUD-Dev] Re: Mudschool

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Thu May 14 19:16:42 CEST 1998

Travis S. Casey wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Richard Woolcock wrote:
>
> >    Enter your name: Bubba
> >    New character!  Enter a password: *****
> >    [Press enter to enter the game]
>
> The "enter your name" prompt is something that's always bothered me about
> many muds.  The first time I ever got on a mud, I saw "enter your name",
> and naturally entered "Travis Casey" (after all, it's asking for *my*
> name, not a *character's* name).  It then told me that names could only be
> one word.  So I entered "Travis".

[snip]

> The moral is:  explain things clearly during character generation.

Agreed - the example above was just to demonstrate a point.  I have
the following in my mud:

[snip my greeting screen]
Please enter your Out Of Character (OOC) nickname: KaVir
Character does not exist.  Please remember you are only allowed one character.
Create a new character called KaVir? (Y/N): y
Your password should be unique to this mud, and must be known only to you.
Please enter a unique password for KaVir:
Please retype password for confirmation:
[snip menu creation system]

It still a bit ambigous about the name I suppose...

KaVir.

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.