[MUD-Dev] Re: How to handle log-outs in a totally dynamic world.

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Fri May 15 23:51:02 CEST 1998

Dan Shiovitz wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 1998, Ben Greear wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 10 May 1998, John Bertoglio wrote:
> [..]
> > > particular. Example: Say the character gets certain benefits from and
> > > aggressive (nearly abusive) stance with vendors. However, that behavior is
> > > also more likely to provoke an assualt from an NPC. Trying to reset the
> > > profile to a much nicer stance (to make sure you are alive when you log
> > > back in) might be greeted with "Zug's personality can not change Commercial
> > > Agressiveness that dramatically in such a short amount of time. Perhaps you
> > > would like a PAT (Personality Alteration Training) answer to make this
> > > change?"
> >
> > I will definately try to not allow wild swings from one 'alignment' to
> > another.  At least to the point where an evil pirate can't set his
> > alignment to good right before logging off...
>
> I don't think there's any need to prevent the players from changing
> their personality. Just remember that if someone's been nasty and
> aggressive to you for a long period of time and suddenly starts being
> friendly, that's almost always a sign of weakness or stupidity on
> their parts*. Then have the NPCs respond appropriately. (This gets
> trickier if the NPCs don't remember how players acted in the past ..
> in that case you might want to restrict personality changes, yes).

Short side remark: I'd prefer the characters to be separated further
from the players behind their backs in this case (like it was discussed
before), so I can imagine:

[player] OK, enough tormenting Boffo, let's be fair with him since now
[character] What are you, nuts? Let's go and kill him!

As I was saying before, alignment is not to be taken lightly :-)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.