[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: Java multithreading performance

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sat May 16 08:49:26 CEST 1998

Ben Greear wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 1998, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:
>
> Do you have this as an applet somewhere, or an application?

Yes, currently this is an application. I'll get to the source back on
Monday, and mail it to you. It's possible to run it as applet, too, but
in this case I'd rather redirect the log messages back to the
originating host, because otherwise it would be impossible to reliably
determine the moment of death (and I guess it would be much faster).

> On a similar, OT note:  How many simultaneous connections can you have
> under Java.

I can easily modify it to connect to itself, or to a different test app.

>  In other words, it's usually limited to around 256
> under Linux, but you can fork to get around it.  Not sure you can
> fork a java app.

Absolutely, no.

>  So, does the java runtime take care of this, or
> does it take some more insidious hack?  (I want to stay Pure Java if
> at all possible.)

The solution for this may be the distributed architecture with multiple
listener hosts.

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.