[MUD-Dev] Re: mudschools

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon May 18 01:13:12 CEST 1998

On 12:02 AM 5/18/98 -0500, I personally witnessed jacob langthorn jumping
up to say:

>It's been my experience on muds that many of the
>senior players are already adopting the role of mentors ( yes even to
>total strangers).

This is... um, it's a little embarrassing, but... that's the major reason I
play MUDs at all rather than MUSHes, where I spend most of my time.
Specifically and almost exclusively so I can "power level", reach a
respectable point of advancement, and wander around being a Big Powerful
Dude who can help people with CRs and spells and occasionally just hang out
around the newbie areas giving people money. I don't get anything from the
hack and slash anymore, I just want to go around being magnanimous and
answering questions... which often makes me a prime candidate for staffing,
but I never accept such offers because it doesn't seem to mean as much when
staff do something for you as it does when just a plain old player does
something for you. Staff sort of have a responsibility. Other players
don't. There's something somehow more volunteer about the practice when
you're one of the player community, not up on a higher plateau.

Okay, so I'm weird.

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.