[MUD-Dev] Re: Leaving characters in play

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Mon May 18 12:56:25 CEST 1998

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Travis S. Casey wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 May 98, John Bertoglio <alexb at internetcds.com> wrote:
> > Now when our system is finished, I guarantee that no player will score a
> > one hit kill on another player...but that is a different story.
>
> Never?  Why not?  It certainly isn't realistic not to allow one-hit
> kills under any circumstances, and the more powerful the weapons in
> your game become, the less realistic it becomes.  If, for example,
> your game includes shotguns, grenades, and other such weapons, such a
> rule starts to look silly.  If you go on into the kinds of
> superweapons available in some SF, it becomes downright ridiculous.

Perhaps players get a certain amount of 'luck' each day.  A one-hit
killing blow can be avoided if you have enough luck.
Thus:

% throw grenade Boffo
You lob a grenade at Boffo.
It explodes.
%
Boffo comes crawling out of the cloud of dust, coughing and sputtering,
singed but otherwise unharmed.
Boffo says, "Woah, that was close!  I think I'm going to stay home for the
rest of today, I've just about used all the good luck I'm entitled to for
one day."

This is a nice was to help encourage players to explore.  If they walk in
on the mighty dragon once, they will get a good scare.  If they walk in
again, they get roasted.

Adam

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.