[MUD-Dev] Re: How to handle log-outs in a totally dynamic world.

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 19 23:17:47 CEST 1998

On Tue, 19 May 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 1998 23:44:01 -0700 (MST)
> Ben Greear<greear at cyberhighway.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 May 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
>
> >> Mechanical address: All ships approaching station are instantly
> >> docked -- you can't "push" a station.  But what happens if I push
> >> an asteroid into a station?
>
> > What is a station, but a large ship, if I have a large, or larger
> > one, then I can probably push it :) An asteroid would definately do
> > it, especially if I have already weakened or destroyed the main
> > drives.
>
> Stations are typically considered very large ships with very small or
> nonexistant engines -- they're intended as orbitting masses, not
> mobile platforms.

Seconded.  Though I don't see why a station has to be a fixed stationary
(if in orbit) object given how much we on the list like dynamic worlds.  A
movable station would encourage the creation of tugs for situations like
this and for assembling new stations (or made in one system and dragged
whole to the destination - like some oil rigs).

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.