[MUD-Dev] Re: MURKLE: Wot it is

jacob langthorn jlangthorn at towertechinc.com
Wed May 20 13:40:06 CEST 1998

	BTW: A JAVA multiplayer version of Risk can be found at:

	  <URL:http://nilo.borak.es/risk/>

	Not quite my preferred rule set tho.

	On Fri, 15 May 98 19:27:34 MST
	Chris Gray<cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

	> [J C Lawrence:]

	>> Translation It took about 30 minutes for the first TC
population
	>> explosion to occur.  20 minutes later they all died of
starvation.
	>> Within a couple days the entire world was knee deep in TC
spores.
	>> TC's need an effective predator which has its own cyclic
population
	>> behaviour (needs to be dependant on TC population, but enough
	>> out-of-step to prevent steady-states from occuring).

	> Sounds similar to the old "sharks and fish" simulation. It was
in
	> the Mathematical Games section of Scientific American some
years
	> ago.

	Could be.  I've spent significant time searching the Scientific
	American site to no avail (they have one of the worst search
features
	I've found yet).

	> I recall from playing that a friend and I did that you can
tune the
	> various parameters to keep things going for quite a long time.

	> For those who don't recall it, it was something like this:G

	...deletia...

	> (I may have some details wrong - its been a while.)

	Yes, very similar.  I'd love to dig out that original article.

You can download a simulation program based on it at
http://www.kovcomp.co.uk/downl2.html

Jacob Langthorn
Systems Manager
Jlangthorn at toertechinc.com
(405)979-2149

	.

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.