[MUD-Dev] Re: Mud Tales

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu May 21 18:04:40 CEST 1998

On Tue 19 May, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On 11:29 AM 5/19/98 -0700, I personally witnessed John Bertoglio jumping up
> to say:

> >12 year olds can be useful, loved, lovable, friendly and
> >many other fine things. But few can say that they are "important" outside
> >of their family. In the online world of UO he is important to a number of
> >people.

> That's the major reason people like RPGs in the first place, I think.
> Because you can be important, and the fate of the world can rest on your
> shoulders, and YOU get to brave the gorge of eternal peril and cross the
> bridge of death and slay the dragon and get the girl. (Even if you don't
> necessarily know what you're supposed to *do* with the girl just yet.)

*giggle*
Mind if I would get the prince instead? My taste does not run to girls
after all.

On a more serious note. I noticed that quite a few rpg games assume that
everybody playing it is a guy and things occasionally get a little weird
if you're not. The bad examples of course show just why girls don't like
to hang out with guys their own age, especially during the early teens..

> We don't get many chances to be a hero in our regular lives. Most of us
> wouldn't know how. But for the time you spend in that game, you know the
> rules, and you can perceive the grand scheme of things, and you can feel
> like you're in control for a while. And then you pack up and go home, and
> the next day you go off to a job you don't enjoy at a company you don't
> like working for customers you don't understand with people you don't know.
> And after a week of that, I think everyone needs a little time to feel like
> they're important.

Or even just respected and valued.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.