[MUD-Dev] Re: Wild idea.. :)

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Sep 3 11:35:35 CEST 1998

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 09:41:58PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> I'm considering writing the servers in java for all the normal
> reasons, and there will probably be a java client sitting under
> the graphics on the client's (player's) machine.

I decided against Java for my stuff, which was hard, since Java has great
networking and threading support out of the box.

But here's why I ended up going with plain old C (although I will probably
have some C++ eventually too, since many neat modules that I may use, like
the Texas Persistent Store (yes, the impedance mismatch with PostgreSQL is
getting annoying), are C++--but I can link them with my C modules and be
happy): Java is A) slow.  This probably won't be a problem in a couple
years.  B) it keeps changing.  This is the most important, as far as I am
concerned.  Until it settles down, I don't want to write any code for it,
knowing that I may have to change it in six months or a year.

There's also, for me, C) I know C much better than I know Java, but
obviously that shouldn't be a concern.  I know Perl much better than I know
C, but A) applies there too.  Although I'm really tempted to rewrite part
of the core in Perl 5.005-threaded and see how much slower it is.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman