[MUD-Dev] Re: Intermud Communication...is it worth it?

Michael.Willey at abnamro.com Michael.Willey at abnamro.com
Thu Sep 3 14:24:06 CEST 1998

caliban at darklock.com wrote:
>I don't want to TALK between MUDs. I want to MOVE between
>MUDs. I want to get to the edge of BobMUD and seamlessly
>transfer to JoeMUD without noticing anything. And as soon
>as you let me talk between MUDs, I'm going to be reminded
>of how cool that would be, and I'm going to bug you to
>build it. Yes, I know, interMUD movement and character
>transfer is a Bad Idea for various reasons, but all the
>same... that's what I'd be thinking, as a player.

I wonder, from the point of view of a player, how is the
above effectively different from walking to the edge of
Bobworld and seamlessly transferring to Joeworld on Bob&JoeMUD?
The idea of distributed mudding certainly makes developers
drool, but for reasons that are mostly behind the scenes.
What makes you remark on how cool it would be for players?