[MUD-Dev] Re: Windows->Linux TCP/IP stack performance problems

Thu Sep 10 20:40:14 CEST 1998

[J C Lawrence, initially quoting Dave Zarzycki:]

 >Does anybody have any idea what's going on? I don't think the sniffer
 >will tell me much. Are there any kernel options I can tweak?

 >This may or may not affect your client operations.  Most likely it
 >wouldn't as most client designs use long term connections (ie the rate
 >of generating new connections is low) which is in direct contrast to
 >web servers (where this impacts hard).

When I started reading this, it seemed *very* familiar to the slow
server problem I was seeing on Linux. That was an earlier Linux and
I've just upgraded to the same one mentioned (Red Hat 5.1/2.0.34), and
will be redoing the test soon. I'm hoping its better, but after reading
this note, I'm no longer expecting it to be. Sigh.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA