[MUD-Dev] Re: Implementing god.

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sat Sep 12 10:45:31 CEST 1998

On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 11:51:53AM +0100, Marian Griffith wrote:
> Adam's basic assumption is wrong. You do not go to the mud to work. You
> go there to talk to people, create things and maybe look around.  It is
> much more like going to a cafe than going to work.

Oh, I agree utterly with this.  That would be a far more entertaining way
to spend time.  Albeit it may turn UO (for instance) into an expensive IRC.

What I don't think I like is UO's skill model, where, as I understand it,
you have to click eleventy-billion times to be able to make a nice-looking
suit of clothes.  It's that whole
first-through-third-level-in-D&D-takes-forever and unless you're playing
among fist-through-third level players rather than higher-level
players-it's-not-much-fun-sort-of-thing.

It's having to practice, practice, practice to become a good tailor that is
realistic but strikes me as likely to cost you players who get bored in the
interim.

I may have vastly misunderstood how Ultima's skills work, however.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman