[MUD-Dev] Re: Ugh, IS Diablo a mud?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Sep 22 15:37:16 CEST 1998

On 04:24 PM 9/22/98 -0500, I personally witnessed Koster, Raph jumping up
to say:

>The point made by Jag was that rebooting a Diku and starting a new game
>of Diablo isn't really very different. Yet in my gut, I still think that
>Diablo is not a mud, and a Diku is.

Personally, I think everything which can be played in a multi-player
environment with some individual character or group of characters is a MUD.
The key to MUD is the term "Multi-User", and as a result anything which is
played over a network with multiple players and involves some semblance of
role-playing or role-assumption is a MUD in my eyes. So not only is Quake a
MUD, *Doom* is a MUD. So is Warcraft. So is Dungeon Keeper.

This isn't a popular view, I don't think. But that's my take on the issue.
Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>   | "I'm not sorry or
Darklock Communications <http://www.darklock.com/> |  ashamed of who I
PGP Key AD21EE50 at <http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/~bal/> |  really am."
FREE KEVIN MITNICK! <http://www.kevinmitnick.com/> |  - Charles Manson