[MUD-Dev] Re: Legend's speech system and moods

Raph & Kristen Koster koster at eden.com
Wed Sep 23 12:20:17 CEST 1998

At 11:31 AM 9/23/98, Koster, Raph wrote:

>Why did I write this? Well, I read a lot. And when you read fiction,
>speeches aren't presented like a radio play, they're presented in
>semi-decent prose. And roleplayers tend to be readers. So if this helps
>the fictional immersion, then it can help roleplayers.

Another thing we have at Legend is "say alternatives" also in response to
minimizing the radio play feel.

Basically, these are a set of verbs like: cackle, grumble, growl, mutter,
drawl, moan, whimper, whine, groan, mumble, coo, scream, exclaim, enthuse,
add, note, drone, explain, chatter, snarl, threaten, prattle, babble, etc.

The player types in: add you forgot these, Raph.
and it parses out as : Kristen adds, 'You forgot these, Raph.'
or possibly: 'You forgot these, Raph,' Kristen adds.

These can be used in conjunction with moods just like a regular say as well.
so:  helpful add you forgot these, Raph.
turns into:  Kristen adds helpfully, 'You forgot these, Raph.'

The implementation of these turned the regular do_say into do_speech where
do_say, do_mutter, etc pass the verb in and replaces the "say/s".

Another thing of interest to note here, is many of these are also still
valid socials/emotes/poses. If you type "moan <name> and that person is
there it performs ythe social on them if not or you followed it with other
text, it does the alternative.

-Kristen Koster
Kaige at LegendMUD