[MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft

S. Patrick Gallaty patrick at gric.com
Mon Sep 28 10:19:40 CEST 1998

Something I did once with another wizard that might amuse you -
way back in the bad old days of LPMud 1.x, I wrote a mage guild
(The Temple of the Green Sun), and a while later - another wizard
wrote a guild of warlocks called "The Furies".
We decided to make them competitive, and to facilitate this we did
a lot of things (such as the ability to sacrifice each opposing guild's
members corpses etc.) - but one of the most interesting projects was that
each guild would have mini-quests which upon completion would raise both
the maximum mana and mana regeneration rate of all of the members
of whichever guild had done their version of the mini-quest.
Thus the two guilds were at one another's throat pretty much
constantly, and there was a great deal of animosity and struggle.

I had strongly considered putting in a location based mana system
where mana was a finite supply that was drained by big use.
I like the idea, I'd be interested in seeing it.