[MUD-Dev] question about tile-based games

Wes Connell wconnell at adhesive.com
Fri Aug 13 17:47:07 CEST 1999

A couple of ideas. I've always liked the way UO handles this type of
thing. Allowing players to walk "through" other players/mobs, but make it
cost. In UO's case it is stanima points. Why not use a good thing? We
could even improve it. Have player configurable stances.

player A tries to move onto a tile occupied by player B

defensive: player B will allow occupation as long as player A is not
aggressive, mean, evil, whatever.

nice: player B allows all occupation.

aggressive: player B allows no occupation.

The stances could also be used in many other parts of the game system. Ie:
Suprise attacks would not be as effective if the victim were in a
defensive stance. Shop keepers would not sell to players in an aggressive
stance. Etc etc.

Granted the previously discussed consequences would still exist. You would
just have to make the areas more logical. A hallway usually allows two
people to walk side by side. A tunnel would allow a single file line.
Unless of course you toss direction into the mix. Wasn't there a guy
talking about making 2x4 tiles? I would love to hear more about that.

Anyways, hope this sparks a few more ideas...=]

Wes!
wconnell at adhesive.com
		-- Henry Spencer

to-list-admin: bah, who needs quotes =]