[MUD-Dev] Self-organizing worlds (was: Elder Games)

Koster Koster
Tue Mar 23 09:51:11 CET 1999

There's a couple of economics researchers who are working with us here to
actually try to pinpoint the differences between human behaviors in virtual
economies as opposed to real world economies. Turns out there are some
fairly significant differences which make traditional economic models tend
to fail. Among these differences is the savings habits of players (eg
hoarding). A lot of this went over my head, but apparently the economists
feel that even with an accurate economic model (eg one with huge ongoing
expenditures) there's enough of a difference in the psychology online that
people will not do the same things they do in the real world.

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu