[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Alex Stewart riche at crl.com
Tue May 4 13:50:36 CEST 1999

Ola Fosheim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=F8stad?= <olag at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> So, what are you custom server guys doing?  Have you been able to stick to
> your vision, or has it changed?  I see that Ben keeps pushing ScryMUD, but
> what about Jon and the roleplaying supporting client, JC, Caliban, Ling,
> Yospe and all the others?  Are you "pushing" (implementing) or "butching"
> (redesigning)?

Well, my server effort has been pretty much sidelined for about 6 months now,
due primarily to the fact that I decided I really wanted some better Java
development tools (JDK and a text editor just weren't doing it anymore), but
the machine I was working with wasn't really powerful enough for some of the
better ones, so I had to wait around until I could afford to get my new machine
(which I just did)..  That plus a new job, and I have to admit a slight wane in
interest for this area of endeavor (I've been getting more into the Linux
kernel internals recently, actually), but anyway, as for your actual question:

I tend to do a lot of design work up front when I start something (a lot of it
just in my head before I even sit down to a project) so I don't do a lot of
redesigning in general.  Of course getting the design perfect the first time
can be a drawback in itself since I do sometimes find the implementation more
boring than the design, and left with all implementation and no design ahead of
me I sometimes have to work to maintain interest..

> It would be interesting to see what you are doing and where you are going!!
> A mud-dev custom status quo, sort of.  Please share!

Speaking of all of this, I feel I must apologize to some of the folks on here
as I promised people I'd provide more information on some things people had
expressed interest in about my plans for the Lithium driver quite some time
back, and then (due to various things) managed to basically fall off the face
of the net for a while instead (oops).

Unfortunately, I don't really remember where I left off (or whether anybody's
still interested).  To refresh people's memories, the basic planned features
for Lithium are up at http://www.crl.com/~riche/lithium.html

-alex
     Alex Stewart - riche at crl.com - Richelieu @ Diversity University MOO
                         http://www.crl.com/~riche
           "For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu