[MUD-Dev] The distinction between magic spells and magic abilities

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Sun May 16 11:43:32 CEST 1999

> [Matthew Mihaly]
>
> We don't distinguish between spells (magic) and abilities in Achaea,
> because I don't think it makes much sense. The line isn't very clear at
> all. For example, most of our classes have some abilities that I would
> certainly consider to be 'magical'. Some of our players don't, as they
> have been brainwashed by evil TSR to think that if it ain't a fireball
> (I refuse to put a fireball ability in Achaea) or lightning bolt, it ain't
> magic. They actually try to argue that telepathy isn't magic, or that
> morphing into various animals isn't magic, or that using tarot cards to
> produce various effects isn't magic, etc. Bunch of mularky if you ask me.
>
> So when you talk about being careful with using magic as opposed to
> 'other' abilities, I guess I just think 'why'?

It depends on your perspective, and (again) the rules of your world. The
distinction that I might make is that spells are learned magic, and
abilities are innate magic. (Of course, learning spells may simply awaken or
strengthen - or be required, to use - an innate ability, but that makes
things that little bit more complex. And blurred!)

I'd be interested to know why you refuse to allow a fireball spell, by the
way.

I'd argue that both you and your players are right - somewhere on some
world. But this is your world, with your world laws. If you decide that
telepathy can never be an innate ability, it has to be a learned spell; if
you decide that morphing (it can be innate - see Odo at ST:TNG) has to be done
via a spell, so be it. And if you liken Tarot Cards to a spellbook (instead
of, say, paraphinalia required to commune with the spirits of nature), then
they must accept that too. That's why I would prefer to remain anonymous on
any world I create. Then problems are due to the inflexible natural law of
the world, rather than the whim of some human creator, who may possibly be
convinced to change things...

Greg.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu