[MUD-Dev] Fw: 16K mud server competition !

cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
Mon Apr 3 19:15:28 CEST 2000

["Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com>:]

> >Erwin S. Andreasen is organizing a mud competition. The goal is to code
> >a mud server in the language of your choice with the highest possible
> >number
> >of features, in *only* 16 Kb of source code + data files. This doesn't
> >include the generated binaries and .o files. A few prizes are to be
> >earned
> >( such as programming books, a year of free mud hosting ).

Wow, that's not much space! I took a quick look at ToyMUD, to see if there
was any chance of doing simple changes to shrink it down. However, it
is 80K of code and 26K in the data file. I doubt I could shrink it to
16K without losing some major feature or two. The first step would be
one of those code obfuscators that removes whitespace and makes all
identifiers one or two characters.

16K is enough for a decent MUD, I think, but the result isn't going to
be anything you'd want to show to your mother! I think a more reasonable
size count would be one of those program complexity measures, so that
you could at least read the resulting source code.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/