[MUD-Dev] Morality and Values Based Role Play in MMORPGs.

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Tue Apr 4 14:54:10 CEST 2000

Hello all.  About two years ago, the Vault Network asked readers to submit
their ideas for the perfect MMORPG.  I responded with an editorial entitled
"A World in which PvP Makes Sense."  I've been hooked on the concept (to
the point of obsession :-) ) ever since.  I find the moral and social
challenges especially fascinating.  This fascination led me first to the
Middle-Earth Dev board and then to Gamasutra when ME went south.  Recently,
another regular at Gamasutra pointed me in this direction and suggested
that this might be a good place to share a few ideas.  Looking through the
archives has been a bit intimidating, so let me preface my remarks by
freely admitting that I am a layman and wanabee (solicitations are welcome
:-) ).

Rather than bloating this eamil, I thought I'd give a link to a small site
which was kind enough to publish a summary of what is perhaps the keystone
to my thoughts on making the MMORPG more enjoyable.  This is the abstract
for the article.

> "With the excitement about Massively Multi-Player Online Role-Playing
Games, many questions arise about the representation of right and wrong in
these worlds. Most people think that imposing moral values in a game is
equivalent with removing the player's decision-making abilities, but
perhaps there is another way."

	http://www.dreamwater.com/paxharmonica/articles/morality.html

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

----- 	"Allow myself to introduce...myself" --Austin Powers   -----

        Paul E. Schwanz, II  (a.k.a. Phinehas)
        Email: paul.schwanz at east.sun.com