[MUD-Dev] Player controller justice systems

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Mon Apr 10 18:52:32 CEST 2000

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 03:59:39PM -0700, David Bennett wrote:
> Morning,
>
> I remember reading some articles on this subject in the past.  I just
> cannot find them...  Does anyone have any information about running a
> complete player controlled online justice system...?  Where a player
> council of some sort deals with crimes reported to them in some fashion.  I
> would especially like to know if it was successful or not.
>
> Good luck!
> David.

Well...

I started the article you ask me to write about Shattered World. ;)
I am hoping to get back to it this week or next.

Briefly, SW has a player run justice system.  There are laws, CFJ's (Calls for
Judgement), a constable, etc.  CFJ's for when someone believes a law has been
broken, then a Magistrate hears the case and delivers a judgement, depending
on the punishment the constable should be the one to enforce the judgement.

We've had a couple of "major" incidents recently. The last one ended in
I-am-leaving-the-mud-and-not-comming-back, from a long time player. He came back. :)
Another one was an embezzlement case, from our resident lawyer/land baron/banker/
lets-find-a-loophole-in-the-law-and-see-how-long-it-takes-to-get-caught. :)

Erik

--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.