[MUD-Dev] Re: Family, was characters per account

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Apr 11 05:55:59 CEST 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Kevin Littlejohn wrote:

> There's an answer of sorts to the issue of complexity in scripting.  That's
> to provide a really solid scripting engine in-game, and allow players to
> code what their character will do while they're not logged in.  This is the
> path we're taking - I'm envisaging a trade in "really good AI scripts"
> somewhere down the line.
>
> In some ways this increases the problems with advancement by practice, etc
> - really encourages scripting killing the bunnies to gain xp, that sort of
> thing - but in other ways, it might actually decrease it - _everyone_ will
> be scripted while they're logged out, so it kinda evens the playing field.
> Anyone got any theories on what wins out?

Be careful about this. You risk making success depend too much on
programming skills. You could make the scripting language very simple, but
then it lacks power, and there is likely to be a lot more of the golden
path (in which case you may as well not bother having htem script the
golden path...just have their characters do it automatically).

--matt