[MUD-Dev] Sony to ban sale of online characters from its popular gaming sites

maddog at best.com maddog at best.com
Tue Apr 11 12:45:11 CEST 2000

F. Randall Farmer wrote:
> Comments? Any EQ guys wanna share some thoughts? :-)

First, I have been an EQ player for over a year, so I fairly well know
the game, areas, and most everything.  Recently I started buying on
Ebay and as luck would have it, I was also ripped off for about $395.
This means that now I have some experience with the Ebay feeback system,
their support group, fraud investigations and more things than what
I wanted to experience.

About the time I was devising a plan on how to make trading safer,
Verant announced that they were going to add in the new clause in
the user agreement.  I wrote to them (to everyone I could get an
email address) and asked them to hold off on the plan until I had a
chance to present my proposal on how to reduce auction fraud.
Two days later Verant made the change.

I personally feel that Verant is going in the wrong direction.
They have a history of solving problems by surgical means.
In other places (maybe here too) I have posted over the years over
the need to create virtual objects that could be moved, traded, or
sold.  I advocate such things as LEDO (limited edition digital objects)
and believe there is a huge potential for the virtual market.

I don't claim that trading on such a place as Ebay is going to lead to
a new virtual business.  But it's a start.  And for some of us that
have participated we have picked up some new ideas.

frank