[MUD-Dev] History, background and religion

Lovecraft dave at darkages.com
Sun Apr 16 22:03:18 CEST 2000

> From: Pileborg Joachim - FMT <joachim.pileborg at fmt.se>
> Are you borrowing stuff from
> our own history? How do you handle names (of people and places) in
> case
> you dont? Religion and gods? Do the implemtation of it all differ from
> what
> you first planned it to be, and why?

Dark Ages Religion
Interactive, integrated.  For example: The game's logo, an octagram, is the
Rosetta Stone for the religious relationships.

"Reflections on Interactions between the Gods"
http://www1.darkages.com/atavism/phi/Chloe_Theology.html

Art, History, Literature, Lore, Philosophy
Library (300+ documents)
www.darkages.com/community/temuair

People and place naming conventions: strictly done for NPCs and some PCs.
http://www1.darkages.com/atavism/rp/Deksar_Culture/comp.htm

Religion was a godsend.  Players play it as well as I could hope.  It's a
rare moment of a feature increasing role-playing, including player-held mass
worship services, temple services, and religious taboos (e.g., don't wear
shoes in the Nature god's shrine!).

The biggest variation (so altogether very minor) is that the gods are
Roman-ized.  They appear some player stories in stories and do Jove like
actions (see literature).  I intended gods in the way H.P. Lovecraft
intended his Earth Gods in his Dreamlands series, and brewed with Gaelic
flavor.

Dave Kennerly             *             A world to live in
Game Director             *             http://www1.darkages.com