[MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods

Ananda Dawnsinger ananda at greyrealms.com
Mon Apr 24 19:10:14 CEST 2000

----------
>From: Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>
>To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
>Subject: [MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods
>Date: Mon, Apr 24, 2000, 2:57 PM
>

>My hope is that someone who pays
>3 grand for his God is going to think long and hard about just how badly
>he wants to be a God, and once he is a God, he's going to want to remain a
>God.

I think this will work as a pruning process to a certain extent, but...

My experience with the folks who are able and willing to pay $3000 for
"character advancement" is that most are quite likely to happily walk away
from their "investment" once the novelty wears off and the reality of
customer service sets in.  Perhaps they'll just have their character
transferred to a competing service, easing the pain of "losing their
investment."

And a $3000 deposit really isn't sufficient to protect good Gods from
burnout.  No amount of money is.  When a player gets burned out, he will
walk -- if he's smart; otherwise he'll either explode into caustic pieces,
or he'll fade away to the accompaniment of mumbled promises to log in more
often.

Maybe it would be more effective to think of it (and promote it) as a
donation to the health and well-being of Achaea, or as insurance against the
harm that a flaky God can do?  After all, if need be, you can take that
$3000 and hire somebody to play God for a month or two...

   -- Sharon