[MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods

Par Winzell zell at alyx.com
Tue Apr 25 09:18:38 CEST 2000

First: I am fascinated to see how this whole experiment turns out, and --
I've said this before -- I'm indebted to Matthew for doing the guinea pig
impersonation!

Then...

Matthew Mihaly writes:
 > On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Richard Woolcock wrote:
 >
 > > In that case I think you really need to decide exactly what your motive
 > > is.  If someone is really good, you'll promote them for free, which is
 > > fair enough.  However, if someone is okay (but not good enough to be
 > > promoted normally) then they have to pay $3000 to show that they are
 > > "really serious" about becoming an immortal, correct?
 >
 > This is a fair point. I think my answer is basically that a few players
 > (very very rare) are so good that I simply want them, regardless. Others
 > are maybe good enough, but I question either their dedication, or I simply
 > don't have time to interview all the potential applicants to decide on who
 > is truly right, and my belief is that the act of paying a lot of money
 > alone will make them better gods.

Presumably these aren't wide-eyed ingenues paying $3K, they're not buying
an exclusive license to godhood and they know it. I am unconvinced of the
central idea, that paying the $3K actually makes you a better God, but it
probably does mean they give a damn (unless the money is nothing to them,
but my gut says those won't be so common) and that you have some clue what
it is you're getting into.

It also has the very pleasant side effect of shifting the spectrum towards
real-life seniority, which (in most cases, given psycho screening), can be
all the difference you need ...

 > > I would have thought such positions as in-game God, Guild leader, etc,
 > > would have been more suited to being purchased than those requiring
 > > out-of-game effort.  I'd be curious as to why you've made such a
 > > decision.
 >
 > Ack! No way! Things like guild leaders are elected positions. We try to
 > give the players a high degree of control over their mortal leaders.

... and here Matthew shows he has not lost his grasp on the essentials.

Best of luck. Keep reporting!

Pär