[MUD-Dev] Re: Selling Godhoods!?!

Kevin Scott London london at cs.utk.edu
Tue Apr 25 15:33:40 CEST 2000

I have been watching this thread for a while now, and I have a few
comments on the whole system.  Now while I disagree with pay for play
muds, that is a personal view and has nothing to do with my comments.
I see many problems with selling Godhood, and many have been brought to
view. First is the 3k, that is alot of money for most people to spend on a
game, Realms of Despair is a large mud averaging 300 people on at all
times, and I would be willing to wager if we charged 3000 to become an
immortal we wouldn't have any left.  I know that I can't afford to spend
3000 on a game, especially when I can't afford to upgrade my computer ;)

The next point is that being able to buy gods, will breed resentment, and
mortals will lose respect for those Gods.  Now Matt says that he only
picks immortals that can deal with that, but my question to Matt is if you
can see these traits why do you need to charge 3000 at all (other than for
the cash flow)?  I know of a player on Realms of Despair that paid almost
2k for equipment he has on the game, and peoples view of him are not very
high (we don't sell or condone the sell of equipment).  When you sell gods
I think this viewpoint will be even greater.  Matt said once that when
people say they can reason things out without experiment that they don't
have much experience admin. muds (not a direct quote ;) ).  But there are
some things, like I know giving a mortal 30000 hps and a great weapons
would not be a good idea, with or without experimentation.  And I think
selling godhoods is one of these things that can be reasoned out.

Finally, besides giving them some incentive (IE they don't want to lost
their money), I don't see how money weeds out bad gods, to me it seems
like it just weeds out alot of potentially good gods.

Personally before I implemented something like this, if that is what you
are deciding to do, I would at least poll your player base and see what
their opinion is on the matter, or it could cause detrimental affects on
your mud as a whole.  Its one thing after all to deal with a bad player,
but it is much harder to deal with bad gods.  Especially if they bought
that position.

Just a few comments on the issue,
Kevin

: Kevin London   Internet: london at cs.utk.edu
: Research Associate, Department of Computer Science
: Ayres 216      Phone: (423) 974-5790
: University of Tennessee, Knoxville