[MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Tue Apr 25 15:35:24 CEST 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:47:13 -0500
Raph Koster <rkoster at austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> [J C Lawrence]

>>  Average individual: US$100K - US$150K (US national average is $36K)
>>  Average education:  6 year college degree
>>  Average Age:        35
>>  Sex:                60% male
>>  Profession:         30% executive, 20% entrepreneur, 40% professional

> My understanding is that this DOES closely match the demographic
> of some of the servers on games such as Air Warrior and
> Warbirds...

I was afraid that might be the case.  I wanted something that wasn't
too extreme, but was stretching at least a little credulity.  Oh
well.

I recall now that there was some discussion about the table at the
CGDC dinner on the migration of such players away from the graphical
games ala UO/EQ/AC etc to text MUDs among Christopher Allen, myself,
you (Raph), and Richard Bartle (I may have missed someone else). My
posit IIRC was that a possible cause for such a migration was a
search for a higher signal/quality venue with a more uniformly
dedicated (to the game) population (fewer twinks, troll, etc).  I
know that my father, a fairly sucessful entrepreneur in a family of
entrepreneurs (cf Malco Plastics vs Lawrence Sliderules or George
R. Lawrence the photographer) valued higher signal opportunities
highly, and would seek them out with considerable effort (more than
once he dragged the family on international trips in search of
such).

Apocryphal evidence to be sure, but suggestive.

> This has led to a playerbase that is aggressive, affluent, highly
> educated, and predominantly male.

You mentioned earlier that players in Asia are almost uniformly
PKer's.  Do you have any other demographics you could mention about
the player bases there?

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...