[MUD-Dev] Justifying twinking

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Wed Apr 26 11:21:55 CEST 2000

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Raph Koster wrote:
> Yes; although players are not stupid, and will quickly realize that a rat
> that happens to look like an orc king is still a rat.

Is this actually true?  Or if it is true, does it matter?  I'm sure that
most players are quite aware that the rat they are bashing is not a rat
at all, but just a collection of bytes on a computer several thousand
miles away from them, and is just dressed up to look like a rat.  Why
should it be any different to dress it up as an orc?

I'll also take this oportunity to once again espouse my favorite newbie
area of all time, the temple of Orcus on Arctic.  This area features guards
that kick and bash, clerics that cast spells, keys, locked doors, levers,
undead, and all the usual stuff that one would expect from a well-written
hack-n-slash area.  Amazingly enough, though, it is possible for a
1st level character to get at least part way into it, and a group of
1st level characters should be able to go all the way through it.

It doesn't demean the player, because they are fighting their peers (1st level
warriors and clerics), who wear the equipment and use the skills that one would
expect of 1st level characters.

(If you'd like to check it out: telnet mud.arctic.org 2700, create a character,
type "balifor" and then go dn2e3n.  That is, assuming that nothing has
changed since I played there many a moon ago.)