[MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

Chris Lloyd crl199 at soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 26 11:22:08 CEST 2000

This is something a friend and I are considering as we draw out the
guidelines for a future MUD...

In a perfect MUD, the entire world is run by the PCs. Cities, guilds, clans
and so on are all determined by the players. Every MUD has quests to do and
monsters to bash, but what about the rest of the game mechanics?

For example:

Let us assume we have a simple way of making a little money - Bashing
goblins and looting their corpses.

How many worlds can be run without NPC help? Do they need to run without NPS
help?

A magic-user might be able to mix up a healing potion, but where does he get
the bottle to put it in? Can he get a peddler-class PC to make it for him,
or does he have to buy it from an NPC shop in the high-street? This follow
for everything else: weapons, armour, clothes, and whatever else a player
needs. Is the only way to get food to buy it from a shop or complete a
quest, or can you hunt down a deer and cook it? There are always lots of
other little items that an given character class needs: The ingredients for
a spell or potion, pipes to smoke herbs in, metal to make armour.

Thoughts?

C.

--Chris Lloyd
--Mailto:crl199 at soton.ac.uk