[MUD-Dev] moving advancement away from experience

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Apr 26 15:37:49 CEST 2000

Travis Casey wrote:

> The biggest problem I see with any sort of "reward for roleplaying"
> system is keeping it from encouraging a certain *style* of
> roleplaying.

An idea I came up with related to this was actually pretty simple.

Emotes.

Put simply, people who roleplay emote a whole hell of a lot more than
people who don't. It doesn';t matter what sort of roleplaying they're
doing. The extroverted character might emote "waves his sword in the
air", whereas the introverted might emote "reads a book in the corner".
Most of the people who aren't roleplaying don't emote at all, and the
rest do so rarely.

There is abuse potential, of course, but there always is in terms of
roleplaying. Roleplaying can only be EFFECTIVELY judged by another human
being, thus the popularity of recommendation systems.