[MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"

Timothy Dang tdang at U.Arizona.EDU
Wed Apr 26 17:50:21 CEST 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 adam at treyarch.com wrote:

> A way of putting this into practice on an actual mud would be to require that
> advanced items (say, battleships) require smaller components which a less
> skilled (or resourcefull) craftsman could make, and then sell to the master,
> who doesn't wish to waste their time with such details.

I agree that this would be a great approach. Both because it separates
demands more thoroughly, and it's one of the messages of
Zack's paper: "more intermediate goods". While our classic idea of
medieval crafts has the master getting labor out of the apprentices,
there's actually no reason that the people providing the intermediate
goods have to be on the same skill path as those producing the final good.

If the final-producer and intermediate-producer are in fact both on the
same production path, then you'd still want to be pretty careful, because
it will always be easier for the master to coordinate with themself for
inputs, than to arrange to purchase from someone else.

Would it be feasible (designwise and politicwise) to actually have more
skilled people forget how to produce the lower-level stuff?

Timothy O'Neill Dang / Cretog8
520-321-4015
One monkey don't stop no show.