[MUD-Dev] Re: Selling Godhoods!?!

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Apr 26 20:27:38 CEST 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Par Winzell wrote:

> I will ignore the parts where you tell us that not everyone has money.

I agree it was a bad flamebait.

It is however rather symptomatic of what the players might think.=20
I am not aware whet the cost of playing the said MUD is, but i assume it=20
is not overly expencive. In the case where the allure of the game society=
=20
is that the any player can escape their (relatively poor) standing in rea=
l=20
life, and 'get a new chance' in the game society, the game may suffer fro=
m=20
such a decision. Fewer players will stay long, if they experience they=20
cannot keep up buying perks like this, thus feeling inadequate in the=20
game society as a whole.=20

In short as a commercial MUD, you need to measure the worth of a
society that is somewhat removed from the real worlds echonomics, before
affecting it by selling 'status' in this way.

Sure, fewer players will stay long, but it would probably be mostly the
less rich players, and the remainder might pay for more of these perks.

I guess, we'll see what will happend :-), i'm curious.

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk=

address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425   =
  __|
 Dybendalsvej 74 2. th, | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological =

 2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark. |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of D=
enmark|