[MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"

Sellers Sellers
Thu Apr 27 14:57:05 CEST 2000

Raph wrote:
> [...]

I wonder though if that's because their initial expectations were violated.
If the game were more of an economic one than a "kill monster get loot" one,
their expectations could be set differently (see for example the old game
MULE).

At the same time I think it's a good point that players *do* have this crazy
expectation that they should be able to do something that's fun.  Watching
your business go down the tubes because you invested in breastplate-making
like everyone else doesn't sound like much fun.  If nothing else, every
failure state (like making too many of some commodity) needs to have a
potential out, so the player doesn't feel like they've wasted their time.

Mike Sellers