[MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"

Ananda Dawnsinger ananda at greyrealms.com
Thu Apr 27 15:00:19 CEST 2000

----------
>From: Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services <Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com>
>To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
>Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"
>Date: Thu, Apr 27, 2000, 10:10 AM
>

>Along the lines of our classic idea of master and apprentice, what would happen
>if the creation of high-level weapons was based on man hours?  Or maybe skill
>hours?  Suppose it takes 60 (online/offline game) hours to complete a really
>nice breastplate.  What if a lower-skilled apprentice could assist in the
>production of the breastplate by contributing man hours?

<the rest of a very interesting mechanic snipped>

>Perhaps this system would be ripe for exploitation by mules, but I though I'd
>throw the idea out there for discussion.
>
>--Phinehas

I like this idea quite a bit, honestly.  I'm not quite sure if it would be
entirely feasible in the game I'm working on, but certainly quite close to
it.

If only one character per account were allowed to work on a given piece,
players would at least have to go through the trouble of
borrowing/recruiting other players' mules...

I think this mechanic probably works best in a one-character-per-account
system, but I think it would still work fine in a system with multiple
character slots.  Though the more characters a player can have, the greater
the temptation to use spare slots to make craft-mules-for-hire.

It definitely wouldn't work in a game like Asheron's Call, though -- the
allegiance system would encourage members to make crafting mules to help out
the designated crafter in the allegiance.

(Multiple accounts definitely throw a wrench into the system, but then,
that's par for the course.)

   -- Sharon