[MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods

Tess Lowe tess at havensong.com
Thu Apr 27 20:03:34 CEST 2000

Darren Henderson wrote:
> To me, someone who is willing to buy their way in, has indicated by that
> act that their interests don't coincide with your game world. They want to
> skip the "hard part". Thats not neccessarily a bad thing. Different people
> different interests. Its possible to have someone who will make a great
> god but hates playing the game. I'm not sure the liklihood is high
> though.

I have to say I would be one of those people who would be willing to pay to
skip the 'tedious part' if I had fallen in love with a world. While playing
Dark Ages my main character reached only insight (lvl) 53 of 99 by which
point levelling had become too tedious to continue, and I spent most of my
time attempting to be a leader within the player-run political system.
However, I would certainly have been willing to pay for the privilege of
ascending from a priestly to a godly role, had that possibility been made
available. I was, after all, paying around $300 a month to play Dark Ages -
$10 to Nexon Inc, and $290 to the telephone company, so I've proved I'm
sufficient daft. :)

What I'm saying is, I'm someone who loves roleplaying, storytelling, world
creation and community building (ie a GM at heart) but I'm not such a big
fan of spending 6 hours a day for 6 months levelling my character. I also
have a large disposable income. And naturally I have a circle of friends who
by and large are similar people. So I think there are more of us out there
who might pay for a godhood (and be worthy of the role) than you might at
first realise.

~Tess