[MUD-Dev] datagrams

Malcolm Tester MTester at cambric.com
Fri Apr 28 10:37:21 CEST 2000

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> 4. If somebody feel inclined to share the main structure used in =
their
> datagram based protocols, then please do so! :)

You might want to look at a copy of a mudlib using the Amylaar/LDMud =
driver.
They use two different packages. One was called the inetd package, and =
the
other called Intermud3.  They are used for transmitting information =
between
muds.  A lot of current LDMuds out there right now use a clone
(unfortunately) of TubMud, and it comes with a version of this.  If you =
look
at the mudlib structure, you can find what you want for the inetd =
package
under /etc/inetd.c and /etc/udp/*.  For the Intermud3 (which is a newer
rewrite, though I haven't looked at it), you can usually find that =
under
/obj/intermud3.c and /obj/intermud3/*.  Muds use one or the other, but =
not
generally both.  This probably isn't the best example of UDP usage, but =
it
works pretty well, and should (at least) give you a start in figuring =
out
how you want to do whatever it is you want to do.

Keep in mind one _very_ important point though.  If you start changing =
the
datagram size on one end, you'd better make sure the other ends knows =
about
it and accepts it.  UDP relies heavily on "standard" header packets.  =
While
it doesn't really matter what that is, both the receiving and the =
sending
ends have to use/accept the same thing.

Regards,
Malcolm