[MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"

Eli Stevens wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com
Sat Apr 29 12:44:40 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <stoddart at slip.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2000 5:13 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO"

> I like the idea of people being around all the time much more than the
> concept of instant safety coming from logging out of the game.  However I
> haven't seen an implementation of 'permanent people' which really adds to
> game.  In a sense you're adding realism by having the character in the
world
> all the time, but then you're detracting again because you have to fake up
> enough protections to make the game remain playable.  This assumes a
combat
> orientated environment, of course.  I imagine that in a peaceful
roleplaying
> environment the whole concept might work much better.

What I am thinking of doing is having a "generic" representation of the
player present in the world.  Nothing that happened to the GPC (GPC?) would
actually be transferred to the player's character.  The GPC would have
normal, generic versions of the player's equipment (nothing exotic to
steal/loot), and would carry out whatever offline commands/queue the player
instructed.  Guilds would provide a template for various common guild
positions, so players with city guard positions would turn into guard mobs
when they logged out, sergeants would remain sergeants, etc.

The player would log back into the GPC's position with their true character.
If the GPC had been killed, well...  I don't know.  ;)  But, it would allow
for capturing the King, even if the King is offline.  I don't know if
players would like the idea of logging back into an enemy dungeon...
Probably not, but would they like the idea of stealing the enemy's Queen
better?

<//> Silence is golden           RUIN, v.  To destroy.            <\\>
 ||  Eli                         Specifically, to destroy a maid's ||
 ||  wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com   belief in the virtue of maids.    ||
<\\> www.wickedgrey.com            -- Ambrose Bierce              <//>