[MUD-Dev] Storing tokens with flex & bison

Sun Jan 2 00:33:00 CET 2000

J C Lawrence wrote:
> I would strongly suggest having a look at ANTLR (used to be PCCTS).
> (You can find links to ANTLR and other bits in the Library at
> Kanga.Nu) At one time there was a fair bit of discussion here on
> PCCTS with Jeff Kesselman from the Ten Network.  Flex and Bison are
> good tools, its just that there are better ones available.  ANTLR is
> not the only other alternative

This list has always been somewhat tech centered, or should I say
tech-loving? Granted I have never got any close to PCCTS than looking at
somebodyelse's use of it, but the output was less intelligible than a
(not widely accessible) OO parser system I have used. The caveat with
any such system is that you have to learn them and their potential
weirdnesses.

If speed isn't paramount and you don't need the most complicated grammar
in the world then I wonder if not a recursive decent parser combined
with a fairly direct OO representation for execution would do wonders
for many MUDserver startups.

Ola.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu